Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Copper Open Pit Mines, Mina, Sipalay

I was able to see the Copper Open Pit Mine during my stay in Sipalay. I think it is from this mine that Mina got its name, short for "minahan" where the said mine is located. I was so surprised to see such a mine that looks like a lake. I was actually comparing to the mine I saw in Baguio which is very much different to this. I thought mines look almost the same.
As I was told, this mine was owned by the Bernardino's and that year's ago, the people especially the workers enjoyed the benefits which the mining company offered to them. The miners and other workers families were privileged to have 24 hours free water, electricity and transportation. This was also the only place in Negros which had theaters, gymnasium and other amenities for free. 


The company operated for a number of decades until it suddenly stopped operating during the start of year 2000 blaming it to "mismanagement". Privileges stopped as well but the most difficult was that on the part of all the workers wherein they became jobless. They moved to another place were they could start a new life while some stayed and did their best to survive. Houses have been abandoned, buildings were destroyed and the mining itself was in a total wreck. Mina was in a disastrous place at that time.
This was the ground where in the gymnasium and other facilities like the bowling house once stood. For now, the the ground served as a hang-out for drunkards (we saw empty bottles of hard drinks) and a garbage area.
An eroded side of the area due to rain.
I wanted to go down near the pit but I was told it was too dangerous. I asked if no one thought of boating but I was laughed out due to my innocence. Boating is not permitted due to the chemicals mixed with the water. Because the mine was deserted for so long, water filled in the open pit and became stagnant thus it became a "lake". Near this "lake" were the rotten company buildings and rusty parked vehicles used for mining. I was really excited to see these closely but my companions were killing my eagerness always reasoning out that it was dangerous. So, being new to the place I submitted to them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I also am a blogger,
and I was wanting to know your situation; many of us
have created some nice procedures and we are looking to exchange strategies with other folks, please shoot me an e-mail if interested.