Sunday, July 24, 2011

Hudhud

Talking about culture with some colleagues, I was so proud to tell them mine as they all did since we belong to different ethnicity. We relayed and had some comparisons about the things to be done during wedding rites, death and other occasions. One of them, a mademoiselle, told us about her experience (which made me suppressed a smile), when she passed by a native house with a lot of people and heard chants like they were singing in chorus during her tour in the Ifugao rice terraces. Curious to know about what they were doing, she asked one of the native women, whom she referred as “a woman who spit something like blood on the ground,” (She was chewing beetle nut!!!) Unfortunately, she did not understand what the old woman said and wondered if she was also being understood. 

I remembered one of my elders and thought that perhaps it was their “world” which held back their communication process.


Anyway, I told her the people might be offering something through a native ritual. She said most of them were old women singing native songs. So, I considered they might be chanting the Hudhud but they were just staring at me waiting for more explanation. I just said it is a long old songs usually sung by old native women in the province. Oh heck, they asked me to sample them one. 

No comments: