Monday, July 18, 2011

5 years

June 22 marked my 5 years in “public” service-well, not as politician but as one of the countless people who undoubtedly looks for the well being of the underprivileged. Five years of multifaceted yet productive and enjoyable years of experience dealing with different people from all ages. 

I remember my first year when I was tested and seemed to have been weighed by most individuals around me. Being new at that time, it was such a challenge working on gaining everyone’s impossible conviction. Of course their rejection was the biggest sample I received and I was left alone coping with everyone. Fortunately, after months of trials, I earned their trust and was able to establish good rapport with them especially to the youths through courage and determination. I learned a lot from my associates, from strengthening leadership skills to working systematically and efficiently which were well supported by all the people concerned, and through them, I found out about my potentials which brought confidence in me.

Succeeding years came by for another tricky but thrilling situations which affected the established rapport amongst everyone, most unlikely to those who have been considered as powerful and supposed to be sufficiently responsible in overseeing majority’s convenience. Personal interactions went sour even if everyone said it was only for the sake of work. Negative vibes were felt inside the four corners of the work place and obviously, even outside. Nevertheless, the recipients’ bubbly company surmounted the ill atmosphere just enough to make everyone continue working on one goal-to bring the lost spirit back. Social gatherings with colleagues through video karaoke over a bottle of beer or going to places went effective in releasing stress. Then, the organization’s surprisingly greatest turnover for the decade took place.

My new assignment was not far from what I did in my three years in vocation-or so I thought. It was actually the same-teaching, but in a totally uncommon situation. Having an open “room” with unique children who live almost the same lives on street, made me aware about the realities happening everywhere. I am confronted with different people-drug pushers, drug users, released prisoners; people suffering from schizophrenia; all kinds of diseases-tuberculosis, Hepa, influenza; and polluted environment-air and noise pollution especially.  I join them during their blissful moments; listen to them when they confer their problems and pleas and offer advice if needed.  I consider all these as challenges that made me stay for two years and counting. However, there are events which do not appear to be challenging anymore. Repetitive actuations and self-centered base decisions of certain individuals  lead me (and the others) to feel uninvolved and poker-faced when encountered with new situations which sadly, usually, severely misjudged. It affected everything when in fact; it should not be considering the general welfare of everyone. I feel like I am more likely to deteriorate than to grow on that part. Still, outcome falls on the recipients’; hence, everyone do their best to leave behind those issues to succeed on one goal-to give back the smile to these unique children. 

2 comments:

Anne-Sphie said...

it is hard to deal with people who opt to listen to their own selves or just plainly listen to what you say and not acting to it.

Anonymous said...

different people different personalities